Friday 5 April 2013

OK given my very long absence from the blog I though I'd do a little overview of 2012. The heavily edited highlights are as follows -

February. BIG News. My lovely man and I got engaged. It was a bit of a surprise but in a thoroughly good way and Im still completely deliriously happy about it... and keeping busy planning and making weddingy stuff.

June. I heard that I had been selected for Glass Line Magazine's "Small and Beautiful" issue. I cannot describe how excitied / delighted / amazed / overjoyed I was and still am about this. For those that havent heard of it Glass Line decided to dedicate their June / July issue to celebrating "Significant works of art in glass beads" and asked internationally renowned artists Sara Sally LaGrand, Barbara Becker Simon and Paul Stankard and historian Robert K Liu to select 40 artists representing the international "best of the best" to be documented in that issue. Well, you can imagine the amount of happy dancing that went on in my kitchen when I got the news that I was one of the chosen right ?? Definitely a OMG Wow "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" moment.

August. I had the pleasure of taking a photography class with the lovely Mr Simon Bruntnell who was amazing, I learn so much in that day, he was very generous with his knowledge. If you get change to take a class with him I highly recommend it.

September. Had a dabble with print making at a one day class at Ochre Print Studio in Guildford, which was very inspiring and has resulted in some dabbling with printing on / with glass (nothing terribly successful yet, but one of these days it'll work)

October. I got first place in the British Bead Awards glass beads section with my set "An Ode to Miss Haversham" (detail photo below) lots of silver leaf, lace, and CZ's. I entered rather at the last minute in a should I / shouldnt I  frame of mind, as while I love the set and was really pleased with it, I wasnt sure it was really the right sort of thing, it photographs dreadfully, but I went for it and I am so very pleased I did.



We have also been to Prague and Vietnam in the last year, both of which were wonderful (and totally different !!). So that gives you a bit of an insight into what Ive been upto ! I'll be back soon with some images of some recent work !!!


5 comments:

steufel said...

Ohhh, we so wanted to go to prague in Feb but hubby caught the flu so we had to cancel. And Vietnam is on my list too. So nice to hear from you! Congrats on your engagement and the beads are wonderful!

Niky Sayers said...

Wow huge congrats on your engagement and wining the british bead awards, not at all surprised that you were picked as best of best your beads are beyond amazing, very well deserved!!!

Becky said...

Stefanie, Prague was amazing, so sorry you had to cancel your trip I hope you get to go soon, and thank you :)

Thanks Niky, it was amazing to get into Glass Line, and with wedding just over a month away very very excitable about that !!

Unknown said...

Loving the new pieces, and what a fantastic news for everything! :D

dawn said...

Congratulations on... well all your great news! :)
Those beads are actually rocking my world, they are beautiful! Well done! :)